Thursday, April 21, 2011

Hang Tags For All Occasions

When I tell people that I'm a digital collage artist, some of them don't always know what that is.  So I thought I should start off this blog with a sample of what I create, namely digital collage sheets and what can be created with them.

Digital collage sheets aren't just great for scrapbooking, they can be used for many homemade projects such as greeting cards, fridge magnets, throw pillows, etc.  One great project that is super quick and easy to make is a set of hang tags.  

Hang tags look great attached to a gift or hung on a gift basket.  They are also very pretty as home decor accents.  They can be used on a wish tree as well (a wish tree is where people write thoughts and wishes on a tag and hang it on display).  They also make a nice stationery gift set.

When making hang tags from digital collage sheets, they should be printed on card stock.  The tags below were printed on 67 lb card stock, but you can go to a thicker 110 lb also.

To cut the tags, a craft paper trimmer is the best tool to get a straight edge.  There are very inexpensive varieties available and they can be used for many things, including trimming photos or for school projects.  An 'Exacto' knife and ruler could also work.




I like trimming off the square corners of the tags with a rounded corner punch or a decorative lace punch.  It gives them a really nice finished look.




Next, I select the best place to punch a hole, based on the design on the front of the hang tag.  If punching a hole dead center at the top of the tag would take away from the design, I opt for the top left corner instead.  The tag will then hang on a slant and have a nice casual look.




To string your hang tag, you can use inexpensive jute, seam binding, silk ribbon, lace, etc.  A coordinating colour is always best.  Cut to the desired length (giving it ample length for attaching).




My hang tags are typically 3 x 5 inches or bigger, which is big enough to write a personal message on the back.  They can replace greeting cards and envelopes (and save trees) and look just as beautiful.

Once you have a digital collage sheet, you can use it over and over again and print as many sheets as you like, making them one of the most economical craft supply for DIY projects.

There you have it.  That's one of the things you can create with digital collage sheets.  Aren't you glad you asked?
Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. I love your work. I can't believe it has taken so long to find you. I found your blog through your ETSY store. I really love the junk journals you make. Saving up my money to get a few of them. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful talent with us.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I apologize in advance if time escapes me and I don't reply to each comment, but I read each and every one and they really make my day!