It was a really fun project. I used a combination of coffee dyed paper and a selection of scrapbook paper from the giant 'Best of K and Company' stack. Incidently, I coffee dyed those papers too and they turned out great! I added machine stitching on most of the pages and left little thread strands everywhere, to continue with the tattered theme I was going for. I also distressed the edges of all the pages with my tiny Tim Holtz distresser (the blade on your scissors works just as well).
For the cover, I used a piece of ink sprayed paper to create a reinforced spine (and to cover the title that I didn't want visible). A strip of twill tape helped to conceal the fact that once glued, this paper was slightly crooked and I'm a bit of perfectionist, so it had to be done :-(
A quick pass with some sandpaper and the cover looks worn and fabulous.
And now the lessons learned:
1- First, after dying the paper and laying it flat to dry, it started to smell bad. I mean potty word bad... So I mentioned this in a Facebook craft group and someone suggested I add cinnamon to coffee or tea. Stay tuned for that experiment in a future project. For the time being, what I did once this stack was dry, was to rub it with a dryer sheet. This ended up having a two-fold effect which was great: the paper smells wonderful, and it's actually softer to the touch!
2- Also, I opted on recycling an old book cover so reinforcing the spine was a challenge. I used paper to do this on the outside and the inside, but the inside paper didn't stay glued very well because of how stiff it was. I will use cotton or something more flexible next time on the inside.
3- And finally, I used binder rings to attach my pages, but the eyelets didn't quite make it all the way through the thick book cover. They'll hold, but it doesn't look the way I would have liked on the inside of my book.
All in all, I love my new journal. I just need to add some charms and maybe attach some ribbon to the binder rings. I have bits and pieces left from the pattern paper I used, and these will make great journaling tags and cards.
I hope you enjoyed this look inside my trial and error book project. I got alot of the inspiration and help for it from the following three YouTube lovelies, so if you're thinking of trying one out you should check them out:
Marianne Kensington - Pocket Full of Vintage: http://www.youtube.com/user/Poketfullofvintage
Michelle - The Paper Addiction: http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePaperAddiction
Rachel Jazzycreation: http://www.youtube.com/user/vtdoohens5
Thanks for visiting!