Saturday, June 15, 2013

Altered Book With Printable Journal Papers

I have a confession to make.  I'm a tree hugger.  So naturally, I don't like to see anything go to waste, especially paper.  That's why I got into digital art in the first place.  Downloads allow you to print only what you need instead of having to buy stacks and stacks of paper pads.  And even if you use printer ink, there's still more savings in printing on demand.

In keeping with my tree saving ways, I like to recycle old books and turn them into journals.  I'll be posting a tutorial soon for one method that allows you to make 2 journals with one book.  But for now, I want to show you the latest one I made, using the Sew Pretty journal kit, some die cuts and some papers and snippets from the Lucille collection by Basic Grey.  I am stretching my modest paper stash as far as it will go by using it sparingly and making good use of the book's pages. 




The book's cover and spine coordinate perfectly with the sewing theme papers so I didn't need to alter it at all.  I simply sanded the spine down to erase the metallic book title.

To allow for the added bulk of these extra papers and embellishments, I tore out pages of the book (which will then be used to assemble a second journal - hence the 2 in 1 idea I mentioned earlier!) and glued them all back to back.




I've sewn a zig zag stitch on some of the cards and printables to add interest.






On some of the book pages, I added background scrapbook paper (the Heirloom stack by DCWV) and pockets for tags, such as these button dresses.




I also added journaling paper from my tea dyed stash, and a small vellum bag and tag.  The washi tape is not only a great accent but also helps to hold the pages down and hide the book's title along the top.






The die cut tuck-ins are a great way to dress up the pages and hold extra cards or embellishments in place.






And finally, to decorate the book itself, I made a chunky charm out of an old chain, some old and new beads and a few buttons. It's attached to the book by some seam binding that I wrapped around the front cover and tied with a bow.




And there you have it, an altered book with a new purpose.  I will let you know when the tutorial is ready, so that you can try this project too.  Thanks for visiting!



Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. This came out Great Debbie...Love it!!!! and the charm too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie, not my usual colour scheme, but I try to pick the printable kit that matches best with the colour of the book and then coordinate scrap papers from my stash... :-)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Carrie, I appreciate you stopping by :-)

      Delete
  3. I just love it. Love using book covers and the papers are just beautiful. Love the sewing touches you've added.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually don't get to read logs til the weekend....After they come out. Sorry I missed this. It is fabulous. Classic and elegant and "green" at the same time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I apologize in advance if time escapes me and I don't reply to each comment, but I read each and every one and they really make my day!