Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Altered Book Project - Tutorial Part I

A few weeks ago, I showed you one of my altered book projects using printables to embellish the pages.  I also told you I was preparing a tutorial.  This altered book technique allows you to create two journals from one book.  I've just completed the first tutorial in case you'd like to try this project out.




I'm also going to have a second tutorial soon to show you how I assemble a second journal using book pages from the same book in Part I.

The tutorial shows you the basics for creating your altered book. I've completed the book that was featured in that video and thought you might want to see the finished product!  The printables I used are the 'Steamtown Spring' journal kit, as well as papers from the Heirloom stack by DCWV and The Best of K and Co.

I picked the Steamtown Spring kit because the book I wanted to use has a mustard colour cover that matches the printables perfectly.




I love using doilies in my journals so I put half of one on the front inside cover, and the other half on the back.








Throughout the book, I added die cut banners, just to add a little flair to each page and provide a spot for adding dates or meaningful words.






There's also a good selection of journaling cards and tags.








On the spine, I ended up adding a remnant of book cloth that I had in my stash which I dyed black with ink spray.  This conceals the book title and adds contrast to the plain cover.  I could also have used paper to do this.

The book cover was then sanded to give it a vintage look.




And finally, I added a coordinating chunky charm made of glass and metal beads and a bronze key.  The charm is held to the front of the book by hanging it on a strand of seam binding that I dyed with Adirondack colour wash (this one is 'Stream').




Altering books is a really great way to recycle them and make journals that are actually useable.  You're only limited by your imagination when it comes to how you decorate them.  I hope you found the first tutorial helpful.  I'm off to get Part II started now, so I'll see you back here soon.  Thanks for checking in :-)



Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. Love this book!!! Thanks for sharing the tutorial, Debbie!!! :-) Big hug!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Montse! I'm glad you like it xo.

      Delete
  2. Absolutely perfect!! Thanks for the tut!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I apologize in advance if time escapes me and I don't reply to each comment, but I read each and every one and they really make my day!