Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Help Mat Be A Crafter - and Get a Free Christmas Sampler! ENDED

Hi lovelies!  I have a special request for you today.  Do you remember An Email That Touched My Heart, the blog post about a lovely lady named Karen who works with Native communities in Northern Alaska?

Well Karen has stayed in touch with me and keeps me posted regarding her desire to introduce scrapbooking to other Native Americans, which is her heritage. She is passionate about the art form, especially as an advocate for her Native contacts who often don't have opportunities to enjoy the craft. 

Karen is familiar with Native culture as some of us cannot be. She feels privileged to meet children and young adults to show them how they can incorporate their history into this art form. This year she met a Dakota Sioux Native college student, Mat, who quickly picked up on paper crafting. He's a natural! She taught him and other students how to create a scrapbook with a Native theme. Mat's reaction is exactly what she hoped and prayed for, that there could be a forerunner in the native community, a paper artisan, who would develop his skill and make this art form his own.



The scrapbook project
Karen taught Mat

Mat creating his book

Mat currently is a full-time college student working toward his master's degree to become a social worker for Natives. My hope (and Karen's) is that you will encourage Mat to develop his natural capacity for paper crafts with a Native perspective by helping him start building his crafting inventory.  

I'd love to help him get as much of it as possible.  Karen and I can't do it alone, so I was hoping you could help.  If you can spare a few dollars, that would be great.  And I'm offering this instant printable Christmas sampler as a gift for your donation of $3.00.  



Fundraiser ENDED

I'd love to collect enough funds to be able to place an online order to either Simon Says Stamp or Joanns and have the items shipped directly to Mat. 

Here is a list of supplies that Karen used to walk Mat through his first book creation and what would be great to give him (some of these are just suggested popular brands - substitutes would be welcome I'm sure):

-Fiskars 12" Portable Rotary Paper Trimmer (w Blade Style F refills)
-Fiskars Retractable Fingertip Craft Knife (w refill blades)
-Olfa 17" x 17" Self-Healing Cutting Mat (or larger)
  -Olfa Rotary Cutter (w refill blades)
  -Olfa 6" x 24" Non-Slip Frosted Advantage Acrylic Ruler
  -Tim Holtz 12" Design Ruler
  -Stampin' Up Simply Scored Scoreboard or Martha Stewart brand and bone folder
  -Ranger Ink Inkessentials 15" x 18" Reusable Non-Stick Craft Sheet
  -We R Memory Keepers Long-Arm Punch for holes and eyelets
  -Martha Stewart Embossed Zigzag Edge Punch
  -EK Success 1/2" Circle Punch (larger sizes are also good to have on hand)
  -Large Oval Paper Punch
  -Quality Scissors
  -Tim Holtz Distress Ink Pads (Walnut Stain, Brushed Corduroy, Vintage Photo)
  -Sponge Daubers (fingertip-style)
  -Scotch Quick Dry Wet Adhesive
  -Scotch Quick Dry Glue Stick
  -Scor-Tape (1/8", 1/4", 1/2")
  -The Paper Studio Poetic Postage Paper Pack (this is the paper that Mat selected for his book in our class)
  -Other quality designer card stock
  -Authentic Indian Head Nickel conchos and ribbon
  -No. 11 Czech Glass Beads, several colors
  -Crawford Threads Ltd. Waxed Linen Thread (4 cord, brown--also comes in black, tan, red)
  -Box of 100 Smead Legal-Size File Folders, brown
  -Glue Gun and Hot Glue Sticks
  -Flip-Up Ott Light



And finally, if any of you would like to send Mat some supplies directly, you can email me and I'll give you his mailing address.

I know times are tough for most of us, but if you can spare just a few dollars I'd be so grateful and I know Mat would be too.  I was touched by his desire to preserve his heritage and help others in his community so I really want to encourage him any way I can. 

Thanks so much!  I'll update you on this story later on - I'm hoping this fundraiser will be successful :-)





Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. I have a ton (not literally) of papers - all sorts. Would that work?

    Anne Heart via FB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne! I'm sure he'd appreciate any papers you can spare. If you want his mailing address, just msg me on FB and I'll give it to you. Thanks so much!!

      Delete
  2. Just donated! What a lovely thing to do!!! I wish Mat well in school as well as paper crafting!! Yay!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I apologize in advance if time escapes me and I don't reply to each comment, but I read each and every one and they really make my day!