Tuesday, November 26, 2013

My First December Daily/Christmas Journal

Hi lovelies, I just want to share my latest personal project with you.  I joined a challenge in a Facebook group to create a December Daily.  I toiled with the idea for some time before deciding to commit for several reasons.  One, I'm so completely busy with EVG among other things, and two, I just don't fancy myself a 'daily' journaler any day of the year, much less during the busiest month!

But I jumped in anyways because I felt I needed to challenge myself to make something like this.  I've just finished the book and although there were bumps and hiccups along the way (mainly with new glues I was trying out), I'm very pleased with it. It is ready and waiting for photos and notes of the season.

Here is a glimpse into how I made it:




The original plan was to bind it with binder rings through a book-style spine, but I didn't like the way the pages moved around once I had it assembled -probably because I wasn't exact enough in measuring the width at which the holes should be set at. So I ended up reworking it and creating four signatures which I just bound with ribbon and seam binding which was laced through the original binder ring holes.

The cover is chipboard that I covered with plain cardstock.  I painted and distressed it and added some embossed circles.  The spine is covered with brown bookcloth.

I embellished the front with a doily and pine branches that I cut on my Silhouette Cameo.  I also added a wooden star and buttons for added dimension.  The fabulous birdie tag and peace plaque are from My Mind's Eye's 'All Is Bright' chipboard elements.  This collection goes so well with my Days of December printable kit that I combined them both throughout the book.




The base pages are a combination of white and kraft cardstock that I distressed with paint splatters, coffee stains and other stamped patterns in white and red.  I also added a stitch border with a marker. There are a few greeting card and envelope pages as well.

I wanted it to be mainly reds, teals and neutrals, so I used the elements from the Days of December in those colours, and left the green ones out.  

Across the middle of the pages I added some printable paper from the DOD collection as well as other patterned digis I created in teal and cream.




I love the look of tattered tabs of various sizes, shapes and colours so I sprinkled them throughout the book - on the pages and along the edges. Other little embellies include pins, buttons, hinge clips and star-shaped beads.

I was torn at first about how to use this book but I've decided to embellish it and affix the photo mats and journaling spots beforehand.  This way, as a favourite moment or event occurs, I'll have a spot waiting. This is a less structured way to do it and works much better for me than trying to find something to record on a daily basis. And I can hide lists in the envelopes or keep receipts, etc.



















As I mentioned, there were a few hiccups.  Once the binding issue was resolved, I encountered some problems with the glues I was trying out.  I had heard great things about the Martha Stewart gel adhesive and Tombow Mono Aqua, but they didn't fare well for me. It turns out that the MS glue dries pretty hard and if you're layering thicker cardstock, this makes for VERY solid pages, some permanently warped. It also seeped through to the front of digi images and made the colours bleed in some instances, in spite of the great dispensing control there is with a sponge tip.  The Tombow wrinkles some of the thinner paper even when using a very small amount from the fine tip. Those glues are suitable only in some instances so I've retired them from journal assembling. Although Beacon's Zip Dry has an odour, it is now my go-to glue for these projects...




In the end, these are minour details and I'm very happy with my book and look forward to using it. You can see more pics of it on Flickr.

Thanks for stopping by!







Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. It's a fabulous journal, Debbie! It must be a joy to page through it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I apologize in advance if time escapes me and I don't reply to each comment, but I read each and every one and they really make my day!