Sunday, December 15, 2013

Christmas Junk Journal and Paperbag Card For A Recent Swap

I joined a swap this Fall for a Christmas junk journal and paperbag card. I had alot of Holiday scraps and ideas I wanted to put together so this was the perfect opportunity. I had so much fun making this set! 

Junk journals are my absolute favourite book to make. I think it's because of the challenge that's involved in taking things that wouldn't necessarily go together and make them look awesome. It's using up odds and ends and not letting anything go to waste. 

But enough gushing about junk journals, now some pictures :-)

First, the cover is from a dollar store notebook that I had gutted to use the pages in another project.  I covered it with printed Christmas ephemera and a strip of ruler washi tape. The holes on the front that the teal ribbon is passed through were originally on the back of the notebook with elastic to hold the book closed.  I just cut the elastic off and flipped the cover around to use it on the front. And because it's a junk journal, I wanted to add to that element by using binder rings instead of owires like the original notebook.




I created a small charm with and old necklace, buttons and glass beads. The seam binding was coloured with a homemade spray made of craft paint and water.  I attached a stamped initial on a tiny round tag that is held to the ribbon with a garment pin.




Inside, there are all kinds of colourful, fun things.  The inside cover is lined with printed vintage Christmas sheet music. There are among other things envelopes, glassine bags, paint samples, Holiday advertisement flyers, snowflakes die cuts and some printables from the December Daily collections I designed.  I used up some of the test prints from when I was creating them. I even used coin roll papers, pretty backings from stamp sets and the cut out sheets after die cuts are popped out.  Nothing was purchased to make this book, it was all recycled stuff and scraps from paper pads.




























For the paperbag card (my first attempt ever), I used paper from my stash and stickers to spell my swap partner's name on the front.  I layered a few fishtail banners at the top and just kept it simple because the paper was already decorative enough.




Inside, I added a doily and a printed embellishment on the left side of the card.  In the pocket on the right side - which is created by the bottom of the bag being secured in place, I inserted a little notecard in which to write a greeting.  The card is then held closed with seam binding that I attached to the front and back before gluing the paper down.






It was a blast to make and my swap partner loved it, which made me very happy!

I have more photos on Flickr if you want to see the rest of the journal.  I hope this inspires a junk journal project of your own. It make a great December Daily, planner or album that allows you to use up pretty papers and recycled junk.  They make wonderful gifts for others too.

Thanks for visiting!



Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. WOW, Debbie! Absolutely fantabulous work!! I love everything about it! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Even though I may not reply right away, I read each and every one and they really make my day!